Tuesday, December 1, 2009

So You Think You Can Dance, Top 12 dance

Two weeks ago, Kevin and Channing went home. BOO...at Channing at least. She was great. Karen should have gone home.

The jidges are back: Adam, Mary & Nigel. Not feeling the nicknames today. This is the last week the couples will be dancing together. Next week, the couples will be mixed up.

Ellenore & Ryan: First Dance (Lindy Hop)

Ellenore says the thing that she'll miss most about Ryan is his perfectionist ways. Ryan says he'll miss Ellenore's ability to make everything fun. This week, they are doing the "Lindy Hop" by choreographer, Carla Heiney. This could be fantastic or it could be a real disaster. I'm hoping for the former.

They are dancing to I've Got To Be A Rug Cutter by the Boilermaker Jazz Band. Uh-oh. Well, it started out super sloppy and got a little better. Ryan was more polished than Ellenore. It just kind of sucked. It was boring. I was expecting more flips and pizzazz, but not so much. I think with this kind of routine, like broadway, the story and the extras (like flips and tricks) need to really be there. Otherwise, it's way boring. Sorry, guys, it's not your week. Um, I think Adam is on crack. He said that it was an "awesome start to the night". WTF? Were we watching the same performance?? Mary liked it, too. Am I crazy??? What is going on? They must love Ryan and Ellenore as dancers and not want to hurt their chances. For a moment, I thought Nigel was going to be the voice of reality. He started with "I thought it was terrible" then finished with "that this is the first time this season we've seen the Lindy Hop." WRONG! I disagree. I thought it was horrible. That being said, I hope their second dance is better and that they make it to the top ten.

Kathryn & Legacy: First Dance (Jazz)

Kathryn is going to miss the presence that Legacy brings to every situation. Legacy is going to miss how much Kathryn has taught him about his technique. They are dancing a jazz routine choreographed by Sonya Tayeh.

They are dancing to So Deep by Hot Chip. Muy caliente! A shirtless Legacy and a teddy-wearing Kathryn really heat up the stage. I thought they danced it really well. I liked it a lot, but I wish the music was more energetic. It was a little too slow for me, but I did enjoy the performance. They showed a lot of skill. Adam loves it. Mary loves it. Nigel loves it and goes a little too far. He says it's his favorite routine of the season. I disagree with that, but I did enjoy this performance.

Karen & Victor: First Dance (Tango)

They are new partners since their former partners, Channing and Kevin, were booted off last week. Karen likes that she can speak Spanish to Victor. They are dancing a tango choreographed by Tony Meredith and Melanie Lapatin.

They dance to Montserrat by the Orquesta del Plata. Hmmm. She wasn't half-naked which is, quite frankly, unexpected for Karen. I thought it was a great tango (even though you all know how I feel about ballroom). They performed it well despite the fact that I want Karen to GO HOME. Adam thought it was fantastic. Did he take happy pills this morning??? Seriously, he likes everyone. Mary liked them, too. Karen is still on the hot tamale train, but Victor is not quite there...although, Mary notes that he's "picking up steam". So dumb. Nigel liked it as well. They all pick on Victor, but don't give Karen any criticism. Dammit.

Mollee & Nathan: First Dance (Hip Hop)

Nathan is going to miss Mollee's laugh. Mollee is going to miss Nathan's random sayings and noises. They are doing a hip hop routine by choreographer Jamal Sims.

They dance to Ring-A-Ling by Black Eyed Peas. I thought that was really great. They danced well and the routine was fun and energetic. I loved it. So fun. Adam is not blown away by them and says that he saw Mollee struggle. WTF? Mary says that it started slow and got better. Are you kidding me?? HELLO??? Ryan almost DROPPED Ellenore and you're picking on these guys??? This is ridiculous. Nigel bags on their performance and says that it wasn't professional. I don't get it. They did really well. I liked it.

Noelle & Russell: First Dance (Samba)

Noelle will miss Russell's laid back personality. Russell will miss Noelle's affection because she's always hugging him. They will be dancing a Samba choreographed by Tony Meredith and Melanie Lapatin.

They dance to Hips Don't Lie by Shakira. Wow. Noelle is wearing the half-naked outfit tonight. I think they did great. I'm not a fan of these ballroom routines, but I liked this one. Maybe it was the song. Great job! Adam thought - despite Noelle's "outfit" - the routine was too "nice" and not sexy enough. I see what he's saying. It was very G-rated. Mary and Nigel agree.

Ashleigh & Jakob: First Dance (Lyrical Jazz)

Ashleigh will miss her friendship with Jakob. Jakob just says he'll miss Ashleigh. They are doing a lyrical jazz routine choreographed by Sonya Tayeh.

They dance to Time Flies by Lykke Li. That was excellent. Just a fantastic routine. Jakob was the true star of that routine. Ashleigh (my other least favorite girl after Karen) actually did a great job. It was a beautiful routine. Adam agrees, yet tells Jakob to never wear those purple pants again. Mary agrees about the beautiful routine and how sad she is to see this partnership split up. They are all impressed with how much Ashleigh has grown. GOOD LORD. Mary is crying. Nigel says that he lied earlier because THIS is Nigel's FAVORITE routine of the season. It was a great routine but I prefer Travis Wall or Tabitha and Napoleon's choreography. Not a huge fan of Sonya. HOWEVER...this was a fantastic routine.

Ellenore & Ryan: Second Dance (Broadway)

They are dancing to a routine choreographed by Spencer Liff. First, the Lindy Hop, now Broadway. Jeez. Sucks to be them. Despite the praise by the jidges, that first routine sucked. I hope this one is better. They dance to Razzle Dazzle by the Chicago original broadway cast. Hmmm. I liked it better than the lindy hop, but it was still a little slow. It was good. Adam raves about it and said that they nailed it. He calls Ellenore a rock star. Um, ok. Whatever. I actually like these two so I hope they stay, but that was not that great.

Kathryn & Legacy: Second Dance (Viennese Waltz)

They are dancing to a routine choreographed by Jean-Marc Genereaux and Franke Mousseau (I always get Jean-Marc and Tony Meredith confused - is that racist? I don't mean to be). They dance to Your Guardian Angel by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. That was beautiful. It totally flowed. I don't like ballroom, but I think the music helped. It was so great. OMG. Legacy is totally crying. He was so moved by the dance that he's crying because the song was about hope. Drama...although nice strategy. How the hell can anyone be mean when he just cried!? Adam loves it. Mary loves it. Nigel loves it. I thought it looked "effortless" to quote Mary.

Karen & Victor: Second Dance (Hip Hop)

They are dancing to a hip hop routine choreographed by Laurieanne Gibson. They dance to Moving Mountains by Usher. Why does Karen bug me so much? It's like she tries too hard or something. The routine is good but they are not together. Victor is better. It was a cool routine, but it was no Tabitha/Napoleon masterpiece. I didn't love it. I might be biased because I want Karen to get booted. Adam didn't love it, but he thought they danced it great. Mary says that it was just ok. I agree. Nigel agrees and says he didn't feel their chemistry and that they weren't "together". That's what I said. I should be a judge.

Mollee & Nathan: Second Dance (The Can Can)

They are dancing the "can can" choreographed by Tyce Diorio. They dance to Cancan Suite by Offenbach/Ponchielli. AWESOME. That was SO MUCH FUN!! They did a great job. I loved it. Adam thought they did fabulous. Mary makes a "can can" pun. Dumb. She thought it was fantastic. Nigel loved the enthusiasm and energy. WOOT!

Noelle & Russell: Second Dance (Contemporary)

Side note. I think Noelle is so beautiful. She and Russell totally look like they are dating. Russell, not so cute, but I kind of like them as a couple if it's true. Ok, I'm finished. They are dancing a contemporary routine by Tyce Diorio. They dance to A Case of You by Diana Krall. I thought it was a lovely routine and they danced it beautifully. They used paint and the movements flowed. Adam thought it was wonderful. Mary loved it. Nigel thought it was fantastic. I really enjoyed it.

Ashleigh & Jakob: Second Dance (Cha Cha)

They are dancing the cha cha choreographed by Jean-Marc Genereaux and Franke Mousseau. They dance to Cha Cha Heels by Rosabel. Lots of spins. Um, it was good, not great. I love Jakob and Ashleigh did well, too. Adam loved it. Mary raves about Ashleigh. Nigel loves it. I thought they did well, but it was just good.

REALLY??? NO TABITHA AND NAPOLEON???? WTF?

Well, I didn't cheat. So even though the next post is a week late, I have no idea who got booted. My prediction is Karen, but only because I don't like Karen. For the guys, I think Victor or Russell because I like all the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment